When it comes to miter saws, they tend to be the most popular type of saws available in the market. They are useful and versatile tools which you can use on various types of projects. They are used by home remodelers, professional contractors, furniture makers and carpenters, craftsmen, woodworkers,and DIYers. Best miter saw apart from being used on wood, can be used on aluminum, plastic, and even concrete.
They are available in various capabilities, sizes, and price ranges depending on the type of best miter saw you are looking for. But it is advisable that you don’t be in a hurry in buying the first miter saw which catches your eye. You are better placed if you got to review a number of saws before you decide which one will do your work right.
Various Miter Saws in The Market
The first thing that should be top of mind is the kind of miter saw that you need. In the market, there are three various types of miter saws that you will come across; compound, basic, and sliding compound. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages and thus, before you consider which one is the best miter saw to purchase, you will need to get to know a bit of each of them.
- Basic Miter Saws: If you have projects such as making cross cuts, cutting trims and miter cuts, then this could be the best type to go for. It has a limited capacity for making miter cuts due to the fact that, it doesn’t have a bevel option. What this means is that you will not have the privilege of making a wide variety of cuts but at the same time, it is accurate and good for simple cutting tasks. If you are on a tight budget, they are also affordable, and thus, good for casual and beginning woodworkers.
- Compound Miter Saws: Unlike a basic miter saw, this one has a bevel option, meaning, it can make a tilted cutting. You have the option of adjusting it to make both the bevel and miter cuts, and apart from that, you will also have other options. You will find in the market, two types of compound miter saws: dual bevel and single bevel.
If you decide to go for a single bevel, it will cut only in one direction and thus, there will be a need for you to move the workpiece in order to complete the bevel cut in the direction that is opposite.
In case the miter saw is dual bevel and becomes your preferred option, then it means that you will be able to make the right and left cuts of bevel without the need to have your workpiece moved when making the second cut.
Compound miter saws are good when cutting things such as crown molding due to the fact that, it will make it easier for you, and there will be an increase in accuracy in making bevel cuts match.
- Sliding Compound Miter Saws: These are the most versatile kind of miter saw which is also very expensive. It has features of a miter saw that is compound, and in addition, of a sliding arm that allows the saw to be able to cut thicker as well as wider pieces of materials. Due to the increased capacity as far as cutting is concerned, it is the one factor which makes it a versatile one. And since it is expensive, it is not advisable to buy this particular type of saw unless you have regular larger stock work.
Features to Look for In a Miter Saw
Before you decide on which miter saw you are going to settle for, there will be a need to consider several features to look out for which include:
- Dust Collection system: This system on miter saws in most cases comprises of a dust bag, and which isn’t effective. But there are those mitersaws which have a dust collection system which is effective. For you to find out if the miter saw you want to buy has an effective dust collection system or not, is to read product reviews before you purchase. If you get one that is effective, it will be able to keep your work area very clean and at the same time, increasing lifespan of your saw by ensuring that, dust does not get inside it. This should stop you from choosing a miter saw that has a poor dust collection system as they are less effective in most cases.
- Laser Guide System: While it might not be a major feature when a laser guide is on your miter saw, it will make it be easy to use it, making sure that you get accurate cuts. There are some laser guide systems which are not effective and thus, it will require you to check the system out to see if it is worth. You can go as far as reading reviews about what you want to use and find out what previous users are saying about your system has to have a laser guide and if it adds value to it.
- Motor type: Ensure that you get a motor which will provide enough power which will be able to perform your cutting jobs, meaning, miter saws which have between 10 and 15 amps of power. For miter saws, it is not necessary to have a strong motor, but in case you are going to use it on a regular basis, then you will require a powerful motor.